About Barry Tompkins biography
Barry was born and raised in San Francisco and began his career in local television there at KPIX-TV in 1968. Since then he has spent five years at NBC, ten years at HBO, eight years at ESPN, and the past fourteen years at Fox Sports.
His credits include play-by-play commentary of The Super Bowl, the Rose Bowl, the NCAA Final Four, eight Olympic Games, The Tour de France, Wimbledon, the French Open and the U.S. Open Tennis, the World Gymnastics Championships, World Swimming and Diving Championships, World Figure Skating Championships, and horse racing’s Triple Crown, World Cup Skiing, San Francisco Giants baseball, and over 100 World Championship fights.
In addition he has covered the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open, and PGA golf events, The Indy 500, Baseball World Series, hockey’s Stanley Cup, and the Soccer World Cup.
Barry is in his 30th year as the voice of Pac-10 Conference Football and Basketball for Fox Sports Net and continues to broadcast a wide variety of events on national television.
In addition to his broadcasting work, Barry writes a humor column for the Marin Independent Journal and is a contributing columnist for Comcast Sports News Bay Area.
Marin Independent Journal columns
- An admirable sense of adventure can take you far
- MANY YEARS AGO when I was young, foolish and bulletproof I did a series for NBC that I called, simply, "Doing It." It was an opportunity to do all the things that I used to lie awake at night dreaming about when I was a kid growing up in the outer reaches of San Francisco's Richmond District. Fancying myself as kind of an urban Errol Flynn — swashbuckling my skinny little heart out and hoping to save the occasional damsel from distress. …more (Marin IJ)
- Sometimes it takes a mandate to be happy
- I HAVE ALWAYS made it a habit to try and be as dour as possible at times like New Year's Eve, Halloween and St. Patrick's Day. There's just something about being told that it is imperative I have fun lest I lose my membership in the Richard Simmons Fan Club that I instantly rebel against.…more (Marin IJ)
- What would a mogul say about air travel?
- I WISH I WERE a mogul. Not only is it a great word, but I think it would be a pretty great job, too. I want to have a business card that says, "Barry Tompkins, Mogul." Had I of known, I'd have majored in Advanced Moguldom in college.…more (Marin IJ)
- Plausibly nuts about the Olympics in Sochi
- SO, TELL ME the truth. Are you glued to the goings-on in Sochi? Are you captivated by the "plausibly live" coverage in prime time each evening? Do you stealthily avoid any contact with the outside world during the day so that the results of the women's ski jump are a secret until just before "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"?…more (Marin IJ)
- A way to warm up on Super Bowl Sunday
- I WRITE THIS from New York City where I've spent most of this week. It seems there's a football game somewhere in the area Sunday and people are really excited about it. People, that is, with the exception of anyone who lives in New York City, are visiting from San Francisco or any other of the world's cities, towns or 'burbs with the possible exception of Seattle or Denver.…more (Marin IJ)
- Caught between a vortex and Armageddon
- I AM SO confused. I don't know what to worry about most — global warming or the Arctic vortex. Back east they're hoping for a little more global warming and out here we're asking for just a touch of Arctic vortex. Actually, I'd prefer a nice combination of the two — something like a pinch of vortex and a dash of warming. …more (Marin IJ)
- Holidays around the old pine table
- EARLIER THIS YEAR, my wife and I moved. We went from the friendly neighborhood, family-driven environment of what we always considered the Pleasantville of Marin County to Sausalito, where tourists run amok and we can get to the city in less time than we can get to Mill Valley. …more (Marin IJ)
- Holidays schmolidays
- 'I AM JUST FLAT out of "ho, ho, hos." In fact, I'm not even sure I can muster a single "ho." My bells won't even jingle a small part of the way, and I'm frankly sick and tired of cleaning up reindeer poop from my roof. Especially now that I'm on the first floor of a condo. …more (Marin IJ)
- Capturing the moment of the selfie
- AND THE WINNER is…selfie.…more (Marin IJ)
- What's with the barge on the bay? Better Google it
- I REMEMBER AS a child reading science fiction novels and cowering under my Davy Crockett comforter, fully expecting to look out the window and find some sort of alien with a zapper ready to take me off to live on the planet Zircon. First there was one alien spacecraft, then two, then a closet full of them — all loaded with green Zirconians.…more (Marin IJ)