About Barry Tompkins biography
Barry was born and raised in San Francisco and began his career in local television there at KPIX-TV in 1968. Since then he has spent five years at NBC, ten years at HBO, eight years at ESPN, and the past fourteen years at Fox Sports.
His credits include play-by-play commentary of The Super Bowl, the Rose Bowl, the NCAA Final Four, eight Olympic Games, The Tour de France, Wimbledon, the French Open and the U.S. Open Tennis, the World Gymnastics Championships, World Swimming and Diving Championships, World Figure Skating Championships, and horse racing’s Triple Crown, World Cup Skiing, San Francisco Giants baseball, and over 100 World Championship fights.
In addition he has covered the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open, and PGA golf events, The Indy 500, Baseball World Series, hockey’s Stanley Cup, and the Soccer World Cup.
Barry is in his 30th year as the voice of Pac-10 Conference Football and Basketball for Fox Sports Net and continues to broadcast a wide variety of events on national television.
In addition to his broadcasting work, Barry writes a humor column for the Marin Independent Journal and is a contributing columnist for Comcast Sports News Bay Area.
Marin Independent Journal columns
- Something's fishy about annual influx of herring
- So, how's your week been? Mine? Well I've been staring out my window watching every airborne and seaborne critter in Northern California turn my windows into something that resembles an afternoon cleanup at a paint gun concession. …more (Marin IJ)
- Free range doesn't mean you can live
- I'm writing this week for all of you chickens out there. I don't mean those of you who lean toward cowardice, I mean those of you who lay eggs, cluck and have wattles.…more (Marin IJ)
- Forget making resolutions; let's make demands
- There will be no resolutions this year. I am resolute in that thought.…more (Marin IJ)
- Have a very merry meshegas
- Stockings hung with care? Check. Tree trimmed? Check. Wish lists submitted? Check. Jack Frost nipping on nose? Check (and quite frankly it left a raw wound). Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Check (next year I've promised to get a fireplace). Reindeer on roof? Check (and it's bothering the hell out of our upstairs neighbors). Christmas shopping finished? Oops — should get to it by mid-February.…more (Marin IJ)
- The 49ers are a sitcom no one wants to watch
- Dysfunction: Abnormal or impaired functioning of a bodily system or group. Deviation from the norms of social behavior.…more (Marin IJ)
- Not buying into the spirit of giving
- I must have been absent the day we started naming the days of the week. I'm not talking about the old familiar Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. references. I've come to accept those and have become quite comfortable with them. Particularly Saturday and Sunday — I like those days. …more (Marin IJ)
- Where Would We Be Without Tradition
- I can't tell you how difficult it is to write this yarn this week while lying prone and attempting to breath carefully lest the buttons of my shirt burst and become missiles capable of penetrating walls and taking out the neighbor's Yorkshire terrier. …more (Marin IJ)
- It's not a real Jewish deli if there's no abuse
- I've probably bored my loyal readers on too many occasions to count about being born and raised in San Francisco. My roots are steeped in the Richmond District of the city where sunshine was only a rumor, and ice plant was the only organism that would grow in the cold, foggy, windy blocks that ended at Playland at the Beach. …more (Marin IJ)