About Barry Tompkins biography
Barry was born and raised in San Francisco and began his career in local television there at KPIX-TV in 1968. Since then he has spent five years at NBC, ten years at HBO, eight years at ESPN, and the past fourteen years at Fox Sports.
His credits include play-by-play commentary of The Super Bowl, the Rose Bowl, the NCAA Final Four, eight Olympic Games, The Tour de France, Wimbledon, the French Open and the U.S. Open Tennis, the World Gymnastics Championships, World Swimming and Diving Championships, World Figure Skating Championships, and horse racing’s Triple Crown, World Cup Skiing, San Francisco Giants baseball, and over 100 World Championship fights.
In addition he has covered the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open, and PGA golf events, The Indy 500, Baseball World Series, hockey’s Stanley Cup, and the Soccer World Cup.
Barry is in his 30th year as the voice of Pac-10 Conference Football and Basketball for Fox Sports Net and continues to broadcast a wide variety of events on national television.
In addition to his broadcasting work, Barry writes a humor column for the Marin Independent Journal and is a contributing columnist for Comcast Sports News Bay Area.
Marin Independent Journal columns
- It's a living but it's going to cost you
- My wife and I have decided that it is time to take control of our own future and do something drastic. Spend less money. …more (Marin IJ)
- Fantasy Football's the best fantasy
- I am not one to dive headlong into anything that I would refer to as a trend. I always prided myself — in everything except investing my own money — as being ahead of the curve. Of getting in on the ground floor and then getting off before it was discovered by a Walmart greeter in Omaha. …more (Marin IJ)
- I can't drive minus-5
- After many years of feeble attempts I have found — like the Holy Grail — something that I excel at. Lounging on a hammock. …more (Marin IJ)
- Life as a Bedouin
- It was slightly more than a year ago that my wife and I undertook the adult task of downsizing. We sold our house to a couple with young kids who we were sure would get as much love out of the town and its Mayberry feel as we did during our 20 years of parenting without aid of a how-to manual.…more (Marin IJ)
- Birthday wishes to the best kind of friend
- An old friend turned 45 years old this week. Not really a friend in the traditional sense, but rather in the figurative sense. But to be honest, few friends have seen every side of this writer like this old friend.…more (Marin IJ)
- Paris again under siege!
- So, you think we've got problems in our little county? Did a mouse scurry past your feet in search of a dropped morsel of last night's meatloaf? Did you shriek in terror when you saw a shadowy little creature sprint down the hallway along the baseboards? Are you beginning to look at Mickey and Minnie less like the badly dressed couple next door and more like snarky little creatures that are likely to run off with the Christmas turkey?…more (Marin IJ)
- Holiday in the heartland
- I find myself this Fourth of July weekend immersed in Americana. For me this is somewhat out of the ordinary. For almost two decades I was in England during the July 4th celebration, and quite frankly, that was not a holiday worthy of much celebration to the home team. If memory serves, it was on the losing end of the skirmish that gave birth to our homeland and to this day it holds out hope for two out of three. Celebrations are out.…more (Marin IJ)
- Out of My Mind: This dad thing has worked out pretty well
- I've been sitting here thinking about what sort of yarn I might want to impart for this Father's Day.…more (Marin IJ)